Naturopathic medicine is an integral part of a comprehensive cancer care plan. At Insight Naturopathic Clinic, Dr. Mark Fontes ND and Dr. Jill Shainhouse ND provide the most recent evidence-informed recommendations to their patients in order to provide optimal cancer care support.
Supportive Cancer Care
Naturopathic Doctors support patients in several ways including:
- Safely and effectively utilizing natural and supportive therapies in combination with conventional treatment (chemotherapy, surgery, radiation therapy and other treatments) in order to enhance efficacy.
- Minimize side effects associated with conventional treatment (ie. reduce nausea, improve appetite, support immune system).
- Increase quality of life (ie. improve sleep, reduce pain).
- Aid in the prevention of recurrence once conventional treatment is complete.
What to expect on your first visit at Insight Naturopathic Clinic
Initial consults with patients are two hours in length. This is to ensure that there is sufficient time to complete a thorough medical history intake; review imaging reports, consult notes and lab tests; discuss and clarify any questions you may have regarding your conventional treatment; and perform a relevant physical examination and order any additional lab tests.
There will then be a discussion about what naturopathic treatment options are available to you in order to address your goals and objectives for the visit. This typically involves a discussion regarding:
- Specific dietary recommendations.
- Nutritional and/or supplemental prescriptions: vitamins, minerals, nutrients and other compounds.
- Botanical/Herbal medicines.
- Injection therapies: intravenous Vitamin C, glutathione, mistletoe therapy and others.
- Communication and referrals to other medical professionals, as required.
At the end of the visit you will be provided with a comprehensive treatment plan that includes several of the therapies mentioned above. A follow-up consult is then arranged as required for your individual case.
Naturopathic Doctors may receive additional training in cancer care support by receiving their Fellow of the American Board of Naturopathic Oncology (FABNO) designation from the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (https://oncanp.org). Insight Naturopathic Clinic is proud to have two Naturopathic Doctors with this designation, Dr. Mark Fontes, ND and Dr. Jill Shainhouse, ND.
For more information regarding pricing please see our fees page.