Why would I consider IV therapy if I can take nutrients orally?
You can certainly obtain nutrients via the oral route (by mouth). However, the intravenous route is much more direct. Therapeutic doses of vitamins, minerals and amino acids may be administered directly into the bloodstream without relying on your digestive system’s absorption capability.
Who can benefit from IV therapy?
There are many indications for IV therapy including the following:
- General health and immune support
- Chronic stress
- Conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease that may lead to malabsorption
- Chronic pain or fatigue
- Exercise recovery and hydration
- Support for patients who have undergone treatment for cancer or another chronic disease.
Can I schedule an IV today?
First, one of our registered and IV certified NDs must deem that IV therapy is safe and indicated for your health concerns. This screening process involves a short physical examination, assessment of your vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature), and a review of basic bloodwork.
For all patients wishing to do IV therapy, we must have at least the following bloodwork (these tests may be ordered by your referring practitioner, GP, or we can run these tests. Please note that blood tests run through a naturopathic doctor are NOT OHIP insured and you will need to pay for the bloodwork):
- A “CBC” or Complete Blood Count
- Kidney function and electrolytes
- A G6PD screen is also required prior to receiving doses of 15 g of vitamin C or more.
Nutrients commonly used in our IV formulas *All formulas are tailored to the patients’ needs:
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), B vitamins
- Calcium, magnesium, zinc, selenium
- Amino acids (the building blocks of protein)
- Glutathione (a free radical scavenger that prevents oxidative stress)
We also offer a variety of Intramuscular and Subcutaneous injections:
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- Mistletoe (Iscador and Viscosan) *This therapy is reserved for patients with a history of cancer or with an active, known malignancy.
What can I expect the day of my IV treatment?
You will first review a consent to treatment form. You will then be shown to our IV suite where you can relax in a recliner and watch some TV, or catch up on some reading or some work.
Your vital signs will be monitored before, during and after the IV treatment.
What to bring?
We ask that you bring a bottle of water, snack, smoothie or juice with you to your treatment.
We have a wide selection of teas that you are welcome to enjoy during your treatment. We would like to encourage patients to bring their own travel mug in an attempt to reduce our carbon footprint.
Information on how to inject mistletoe