What can I expect during an Integrative Cancer Care appointment at Insight Naturopathic Clinic?
We know that cancer is a scary diagnosis, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We believe that naturopathic medicine should be an integral part of every cancer care plan, but individualized to you. Dr. Mark Fontes, ND and Dr. Jill Shainhouse, ND have many years of experience in providing the most recent evidence-informed recommendations to their patients who have been diagnosed with many different types of cancer.
Supportive Cancer Care
Whether you’re newly diagnosed, in remission, or on ongoing treatment…
Here’s what we can help with:
– Provide guidance on the safe and effective use of natural therapies in combination with conventional treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, targeted therapies and radiation ).
– Minimize side effects associated with conventional treatment (reduce nausea and pain, reduce neuropathy (tingling and numbness in the hands or feet), improve appetite, immune support).
– Improve quality of life
– Aid in the prevention of recurrence once conventional treatment is complete.
Initial consults with Cancer Care patients are two hours in length. We don’t want you to feel rushed and we want to ensure that we answer all of your questions. We will take a thorough medical history and review all imaging reports, consult notes and lab tests. We will discuss your conventional treatment and perform a relevant physical examination. At our clinical discretion we may recommend some additional laboratory tests.
A treatment plan is designed to address your health goals and objectives. This may involve any of the following:
– Individualized dietary recommendations.
– Supplement prescriptions including: vitamins, minerals, nutrients or other compounds.
– Herbal or botanical medicines
– Injection or IV therapy: Intravenous vitamin C, Glutathione, Mistletoe, Hydration, Myer’s Formula
– Communication with and referrals to other medical professionals, as required.
At the end of the visit you will receive your initial treatment plan. Follow up consultations will be arranged as required for your individual case. You may check in as often as you like either virtually, or if necessary, in person.
What Cancer Care Related Training Do Naturopathic Doctors Have?
Naturopathic Doctors may pursue additional training in supportive cancer care through the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians (https://oncanp.org). This board certification is attainable through clinical experience and examinations. Insight Naturopathic Clinic is proud to have two Naturopathic Doctors with this designation, Dr. Mark Fontes, ND and Dr. Jill Shainhouse, ND.
For information regarding the cost of cancer care related counselling and treatment please see our booking page.